Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My favorite time of year has arrived here in Star Valley, Wyoming. I wait for this all year. The Autumn! It is a time of crisper air, vibrant colors in the mountains, layering hoodies over my t-shirts and sweatshirts…. and it’s the time of harvest. When I walk out in my gardens in the morning pumpkins are beginning to take on a gilded look as they slowly ripen to orange.They peek shyly from beneath their broad leaves that are beginning to curl from the first light frosts. Vines are bending under the weight of sugar snow peas. Zuchini has begun to outrace me in production. One minute they are small fingerlings and the next they seem big enough to build a boat out of. And the Kale! Kale is queen in my garden. Specifically Red Russian Kale. It is large and beautiful with it’s deep green leaves lanced by magenta ribs. With these frosts it is beginning to sweeten up to fine flavor for juicing and smoothies. I’ll be freezing much of it for winter use.

Yes, with Autumn every morning is a magical adventure. Today we had a rare storm come through leaving just a touch of rain after much threatening and rumbling. Unfortunately there will be more danger from lighting fires than the relief of rain but it was truly beautiful to watch. Every leaf seemed to reach upward to the rain. And in my fairy garden I swear I saw out of the corner of my eye the door open to the fairy tree.

Today I will celebrate the Autumn by making a Kale salad. If you’d like to join me grab a handful of red russian kale, about a cup of fresh apricots and a cup of fresh figs, some chia seeds, pumkin seeds and slivered almonds. A handful of tart berries of some kind are always nice. In a blender toss in just a few of your apricots, a half cup of cashews and a half cup of kefir (I use almond milk kefir). Blend till smooth adding cashews until you have a nice consistency for a dressing. Chop the kale into bite sized pieces and toss with dressing. Add a nice sprinkle of chia seeds, chopped apricots, berries, almonds and chopped figs. It’s delightful. Dont forget the pumpkin seeds (lovely toasted). Enjoy and think of crisp fall evenings with hops cones dancing on the vines and the spicy smell of pine trees towering over fragrant beds of herbs and vegetables.

Oh yes! Autumn is an enchanting time at Crazy Lady Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment